As an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pongal is a famous south Indian breakfast recipe, which is very easy to prepare and delicious in taste. Traditionally it's made with rice, but with time and cooking innovations, many variations came up. Rava Pongal is one such recipe that is made with semolina with yellow split gram. It is easy to digest as well. To enhance the taste it can also be served with coconut chutney. Rava pongal is loved and enjoyed by all age group because of its mild yet satisfying taste.
- 1 cup Rava Semolina
- 1/2 cup Yellow split gram Moong dal
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 3 tsp Ghee
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup Coconut
- 3 pcs Green chilli
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Black pepper powde
- 1 small piece Ginger
- 6-8 Curry leaves
- Take a pressure cooker and pour 1 tsp. ghee into it. Then add ½ cup pre-soaked yellow split gram and roast it for 2 minutes.
- Then add 2 cups of water, 2 tsp. turmeric powder, a pinch of salt to it and close the lid. Allow it to cook soft till 4 whistles.
- Take a non-stick pan, add 1 tsp. ghee to it and add Rava and roast it for 2-4 minutes till it becomes aromatic. Keep it aside.
- Make seasoning by putting 1 tsp. ghee in a pan and then keep on adding cumin seeds, finely chopped ginger, curry leaves, green chillies, black pepper powder, and coconut. Fry them till they become aromatic for about 3 minutes.
- Then add the cooked yellow split gram into it and add 2 cups of water. Let it reach the boiling point.
- Finally, add the roasted Rava with continuous stirring and allow it to cook with continuous stirring for 3-5 minutes till it becomes thick.
- Serve it hot with your favorite chutney or sauce.
Sodium: 7911mgCalcium: 41mgVitamin C: 61mgVitamin A: 139IUSugar: 3gFiber: 2gPotassium: 138mgCholesterol: 78mgCalories: 381kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 11gFat: 28gProtein: 27gCarbohydrates: 7gIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Now you know how to make Rava Pongal. Would you like to try cooking it?