Lentil Salad and Sausage
Toulouse is located in the Southwest part of France, and like many cities and regions within France, they all have their specialties and are known for their regional products. Toulouse is no different, recognized as La Ville Rose (The Pink City), because of the color of the bricks the cities buildings were built on and their world-famous Cassoulet, there is one other dish you will find in every French or Toulousian home, cooked pork sausage with a lentil salad. A Toulouse sausage is made up of pork belly, pork shoulder and stuffed within a natural casing. The lentils come from the central part of France, known as the Puy region, and although known throughout France as the Touloussian sausage, it is not a protected product, which is rare in France. This recipe is quick, easy, and perfect for a Sunday afternoon. The cooked lentils give the dish an earthy flavor and merry well with the sausage's fattiness. The fresh herbs liven up the dish, and the lemon juice wakes up the palette. The lentil salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. It pairs well with a nice white wine, such as a Sauvignon, Chardonnay, or Vignon.
- 200 g Dried Green Lentils
- 60 g Red Onion finely chopped
- 80 g Carrots diced 1/3”
- 12 g Parsley finely chopped
- 2 g Dill finely chopped
- 4 g Chives finely chopped
- 24 g Olive Oil
- 34 g Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- 2 Pork Sausage
- In a medium pot, add in cold water and heat over medium-high heat.
- When the water is boiling, add a tbsp of salt to the pot.
- Add in the dried lentils and cook for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and drain, run cold water over the lentils to stop the cooking process.
- Put the lentils in a mixing bowl and allow them to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- In a medium-size saute pan add a tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add in the pork sausage searing all sides of the sausage, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the sausage is seared and browned on a lined baking sheet, add the pork sausage and place the baking sheet into the oven.
- Cook sausage for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and rest.
- In the mixing bowl with the lentils, add chopped red onion, carrots, parsley, dill, chives, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
- Mix until combined seasoning if needed.
- Serve with fresh bread.
Calories: 749kcalCarbohydrates: 69gProtein: 44gFat: 33gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 944mgPotassium: 1476mgFiber: 33gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 7525IUVitamin C: 26mgCalcium: 106mgIron: 10mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!