Kerala Egg Biryani
- 1 cups short-grain rice Seeraga Samba rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 ½ medium onions thinly sliced
- 2 Medium Tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 Eggs boiled
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp. Ginger paste
- 2 tsp. Garlic paste
- 2 Green Chillies
- 8-10 cashew nuts
- 8-10 dry golden raisins
- 1 tbsp. Mint leaves
- 1 tsp. Juice of lemon
- 1 tsp. Red chili powder
- 1 tsp. Black pepper powder
- 1 tsp. Coriander powder
- 2 tsp. Biryani Masala Powder
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 2 tbsp. Ghee
- Salt as per taste
- All chilis can be adjusted as per heat
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 mace
- 2 Cloves
- 2- inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 7-8 Black Peppercorn
- In a thick bottom pan, pour oil, and on medium flame, fry 1½ finely sliced onions until golden brown. Remove the onions and keep them on tissue paper, sprinkle a little salt over it.
- In the pan, add 2 tsp. Ghee and fry cashew nuts until lightly golden, remove them from the pan, and keep them aside.
- In the same pan, add bay leaves, add 1 onion, fry it until translucent, add coriander powder, black pepper powder, biryani powder, and red chili powder, and after that add tomatoes.
- Pour ¼ cup water. When this mixture leaves oil on the sides of the pan add hard-boiled eggs. Turn off the heat and keep egg masala aside.
- Heat another pot, add 1 tbsp ghee or oil, add one or two bay leaf into ghee and fry it for ½ minute approx.
- Add washed and soaked rice, stir it for a minute, and add 2 cups of hot water.
- Boil the rice for 5-7 minutes or when the water gets evaporated. Cover the lid and turn off the heat.
- Final step is layering the egg masala and rice for biryani and put it on dum (cooking on slow fire)
- For cooking the biryani on dum, we have to use another pot. First, put the egg masala layer and then rice, pour a little bit of lemon juice on rice, and repeat.
- For garnishing, add fried cashew, mint leaves, and fried onions on top. Seal the pot and lid using whole wheat dough.
- Heat a bigger Kadai or Tawa and on top of it put the sealed pot of biryani. Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Open the seal and enjoy the Aromatic Kerala egg biryani.
We can store biryani for up to 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
TIPS & LEFTOVERS
For a smoky flavor, keep a small plate in between of biryani, heat a charcoal stick on fire, and put it on the small plate. On hot charcoal, pour ½ tsp. Of ghee and keep the biryani on dum.
Biryani tastes better the next day. You can refrigerate it and enjoy it for 2-3 days.
In case, Seeraga Samba rice is not available, use any small grain rice.
If you love to eat eggs add more boiled eggs to the biryani.
You can also use small whole boiled potatoes instead of boiled eggs if you want a vegetarian version.
You can also add any vegetable of your choice.
Now you know how to make Kerala Egg Biryani Would you like to try cooking it?