Undermount kitchen sinks can be quite roomy too, assuming that you know what type of sink to buy. Sometimes it’s best to have separation when you’re laying down dishes. Other times, it’s better to just get a deep and wide bowl so that you can easily wash commercial trays.
Either way, no two sinks are really the same, even though they may have the same footprint. Take a look at the following reviews to see which features best highlight a sink’s performance and value to understand how to evaluate the products you have your eyes on.
- 1 Reviews of Undermount Kitchen Sink
- 2 Undermount Kitchen Sink FAQ
- 3 Select a Lifetime Companion
Reviews of Undermount Kitchen Sink
This model is known as an undermount workstation. It requires a cabinet of at least 36” for proper installation. The nice thing is that it already comes with all accessories as well as an integrated ledge. Therefore, optimizing the sink with the accessories comes easy.
The sink is made of TRU16 or 16-gauge steel. It’s a very durable model with high resistance to dents as well as corrosion. It also boasts an anti-rust finish, which makes the sink ideal for daily use. What’s also useful is the bottom grid surface.
This creates separation between dishes and the sink surface. It prevents scratching while also providing better draining due to the elevated position. The sink also features a sloped bottom, channel grooves, and an offset drain.
It’s a good combination if you want optimal draining. Furthermore, you may also appreciate the additional soundproofing. You may not think about this often, but some sinks are louder than others. The KHU100 model comes with extra insulating pads for noise absorption and vibration damping. It makes it easier to wash dishes early in the morning or late at night.
The sink also comes with a limited lifetime warranty. In terms of size, the bowl is 30” x 16”. The sink dimensions are 19” x 10” with a total of 32” in height. The included accessories are as follows: bamboo cutting board, dish grid, strainer, drain cover, and a drying rack. Pretty much the standard chef’s 5-piece kit.
- High-quality accessories included
- Heavy-duty build
- Optimized draining
- Superior soundproofing
- Slightly expensive
- No bowl divider
This kitchen sink comes in four sizes. The model has a low divider in the bowl for easier transfer from hot to cold. What’s also interesting is the commercial-grade brushed finish. This gives the surface area much-needed durability against oxidation.
One of the main highlights, apart from the divider, is the material used. T-304 16-gauge stainless steel is one of the most popular choices for heavy use sinks. Among the features you’ll notice a slopped bottom as well as grooves that help drain the water faster.
You may also appreciate the curved corners that make cleaning easier. The bowl separation is 50/50. Each inner bowl measures 14.5” x 17” x 10”. Both feature standard drain openings that should work with any garbage disposal unit.
This kitchen sink also features sound guard padding and undercoating. Both components do a good job of minimizing splash noise and vibrations. Some accessories are included too. With the sink, you get a preinstalled divider, basket drain, cutout template, rinse grid, and mounting clips.
The list of accessories is not as impressive as with other models, but you do get all the most necessary pieces. It’s worth pointing out that the 33” and 28” models come with a bowl separation of 60/40.
- Bowl divider for 50/50 split
- Unique 10mm curved corners
- Multiple accessories included
- High-quality construction
- Sloped bottom and grooves
- Can scratch rather easily
- Not all sizes come with the convenient 50/50 split
The Kraus Standart PRO model is a 32” kitchen sink that comes barebones or with faucet and soap dispenser accessories. It’s a stainless steel sink of TRU16 16-gauge steel. It has all the strength and longevity you may need in a daily use sink.
The finish is high-end but also rust-resistant and easy to maintain. It also works in combination with a variety of kitchen appliances, so it’s easy to blend into any kitchen décor.
In terms of soundproofing, this is some of the best you can find. The Standard PRO sink has SoundGuard undercoating as well as very thick pads that cover well over 80% of the surface. This minimizes vibrations as well as splash noise, making it more convenient to wash dishes after a big dinner party.
The sink features a dish grid that helps protect against starches and helps drain the water faster. A basket strainer set made of three pieces is also included, as is all the installation hardware and a quality Kraus kitchen towel.
Note however that this sink doesn’t come with a built-in divider or a divider attachment. Therefore it’s not ideal for most kitchens with garbage disposal appliances. The sink’s dimensions are 32” x 19” x 10”.
- Commercial-grade satin finish
- Very quiet due to the thick padding
- Large accommodating bowl
- Strainer set and dish grid included
- High-quality stainless steel design
- A bit expensive for residential use
- The extra-large size may be tough to accommodate
If you’re looking for something tough but with a slimmer look, the MR Direct 3218A kitchen sink may be the model for you. This sink has two varieties, one made of 16-gauge stainless steel and one of 18-gauge. The latter is ideal if you want something lighter.
The design features curved corners with extra width that are very easy to clean and aesthetically pleasing. It also comes with a divider that provides an equal split into two smaller bowls. This can be very useful if you have a garbage disposal or if you want to separate fragile dishes and glasses from pots and pans while washing.
This sink also comes with underside pads that help minimize the amount of noise. It’s not the best sound muffling on the market but it’s impressive nonetheless at this price range. Speaking of price, this sink is more affordable than most in its class.
One final highlight would be the moisture barrier. It’s an MR Direct special compound that prevents condensation and in turn oxidation from daily use and infrequent maintenance.
- Budget-friendly pricing
- 50/50 bowl separation
- Sound-dampening features
- Sprayed with anti-condensation barrier
- Lifetime warranty included
- 18-gauge is thinner and susceptible to dents
- The divider has no clearance
This is a kitchen sink series that comes in a wide range of shapes and sizes. However, you can get the most bang for your buck with the 30” model. Its dimensions are 30” x 18” x 10”.
It’s one of the largest sinks you can get at this price range that also offers good durability. The sink is made of 16-gauge stainless steel. Furthermore, it has a very deep basin design and tight corners so that you can get as much room as you can.
The model is compatible with garbage disposal units and is very quiet too. Like all other products on this list, the Modena sink also comes with insulation and vibration-dampening features. The insulation helps with one more thing and that’s dumping and draining water at extreme temperatures (cold or hot).
If you want something with better resistance to scratching and corrosion, this could be the right fit for you. The sink installs seamlessly on 33” cabinets so it may be a better fit in smaller homes. But, the included accessories are not as high-quality as you may expect from the sink’s appearance.
- Durable sink design
- Superior quality noise cancellation
- Excellent insulation
- Better resistance to extreme water temperatures
- Corrosion and rust-proof
- No divider included
- Minimal accessories included
Undermount Kitchen Sink FAQ
Is There a Scratch-Proof Kitchen Sink?
Stainless steel kitchen sinks are affordable, easy to clean, long-lasting, and can be strain and crack-resistant as well. On the flip side, they’re prone to developing scratches even if you don’t actually scratch the stainless steel. The material shows hairline scratches easily with regular contacts, like as simple as putting dishes on it and sliding them off. To prevent this, it’s best that you get a rack for your sink.
Furthermore, you may want to clean the sink regularly, ideally every time after doing dishes. This will keep your sink polished and scratches not as visible.
Which Stainless Steel Gauge Is Better?
Most commonly available are 16-gauge and 18-gauge kitchen sinks. As you may know, a higher gauge corresponds to a thinner material. That said, it may have the same resistance to rust and corrosion and scratching as 16-gauge steel. The big difference is in regard to space, required cabinet size, and impact resistance. 16-gauge, although pricier, isn’t as easy to dent.
What’s the Best Way to Clean a Fireclay Sink?
Fireclay sinks aren’t as prone to scratching as stainless steel sinks. But they do need a gentle scrub here and there to preserve their elegance. Use lukewarm water and a soft cloth to remove any accumulated dirt or grease. You don’t need to use any harsh chemicals; the regular dishwashing soap should be just fine.
In addition to baking soda, you can clean the stains on your fireclay sink with vinegar. Dampen a piece of paper towel with vinegar and leave on the stain for a couple of hours. It can work wonders.
Which Sinks are the Most Durable?
Stainless steel sinks are considered to be the most durable. Get one that’s made of 16 or 18-gauge stainless steel if you want it to be really long-lasting.
Does Soundproofing Make a Difference?
Yes, it does. Insulation and soundproofing pads can reduce a lot of the echo caused by water splashing. It can also reduce some of the noise made by dishes hitting the sink and also minimizes noise made by vibrations. As an added bonus, insulation protects the steel when in contact with freezing temperatures or boiling hot water.
Select a Lifetime Companion
To many, most kitchen sinks may look alike but there are in truth tons of minor differences between models. And everything can make a big difference, whether it’s the quality of the accessories, the size, the divider, and such.
First, you’ll have to choose a sink that fits in your cabinet and works well with your plumbing and appliance setup. But as you can see, comparing two or more sinks is quite easy once you know what to look for and what matters most.
- CHEF GRADE SINK SET Cook, clean and entertain like a pro with food-safe accessories that eliminate clutter and provide workstation functionality; 10 second gentle wipe keeps sink sparkling and hygienic forever
- INDESCTRUCTIBLE RUST-PROOF T304 STAINLESS Toss heavy iron casts or hot pans without worrying about dent or damage; Uniform 16 gauge top to bottom for 40% more steel per sink – not a thick deck with thin basin
- QUIETEST SINK GLOBALLY Cancel noise and vibration with 2.5x better noise and thermal insulation than any other brand; Protect your expensive cabinets when you flush ice or defrost frozen food
- BLENDS WITH MODERN DECOR Same premium brushed stainless as high end appliances; R10 tight radius corners for sleek aesthetics and easy maintenance; Sloped base drains fast without tipping glasses
- SAFEST CHOICE Certified to US and Canada codes with lead-free parts and daily product support from US call center; We are BBB A+ rated and Inc5000 fastest growing American owned and operated brand
- BALANCED STYLING -- Wide curved corners sweep through both deep, equal-size bowls and combine to create a balanced, contemporary appearance
- EXCEPTIONAL DURABILITY -- Constructed of premium-quality, 304-grade stainless steel at the industry-standard 18-gauge thickness
- NOISE CESSATION -- The tinny sounds of running water or echo of dropped dishware is muffled by sound-dampening pads applied to its underside
- MOISTURE BARRIER -- The exterior is sprayed with our specially formulated anti-condensation compound
- GUARANTEED QUALITY -- A Lifetime Warranty covers the sink